“A room without books is like a body without a soul.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Traveling is a privilege to most Filipinos. In a country beset by poverty, not everyone has the chance to visit exotic locales to see the beautiful scenery and get a taste of the culture. And when you have the privilege to travel, wouldn’t it be nice if you can make a difference in the lives of the people who live there. The chance to change the mind of the locals who only see you as a tourist who is just dropping by to a wandering soul with a heart of gold. Well, this is your chance to be that good Samaritan and help enrich the lives of students in a small town in the province of Sorsogon.
Kompanyero Journeying James along with some friends have started a book sharing project for the benefit of Rizal Elementary School in Gubat, Sorsogon.
Why not donate your books which are just gathering dust in your shelf, you’ll never know, your book could change someone’s life for the better. If you do not have books to donate, don’t worry, there are other ways you can help in the project.
1. Use your blogging influence and blog about the project. See the poster and watch the video below.
2. Share the project to your friends, do share this blog post, the video and the poster.
3. Give some books. Tell your parents/teachers/friends to gather some books to be given to the kids in Gubat, Sorsogon. (I am just not sure if you can donate your complete collection of 50 Shades of Grey series)
4. Donate some of your wealth. They need the money to transport and distribute the books. You can contact Kompanyerang Gay a.k.a. PinayTravelJunkie on how you can give your hard-earned cash.
4. Volunteer! If you are a nit-picking, detail oriented, organized, obsessive compulsive fellow with a penchant for packing and sorting things then you are definitely in for the job. (Well, you don’t really have to be one as long as you want to volunteer. Although those traits would come in handy)
5. Join the gang. They plan to deliver the book in September so you can clear your schedule in advance. Exact date and budget TBA (Update: Sept. 14-16) Please prepare Php 3,500 for transportation, accommodation, food and activities they prepared like surfing, yoga and a lot more! (I believe only 20 slots are available)
You can drop your donations at:
A Runner’s Circle (ARC)
Location: Unit H, Aloha Hotel, 2150 Roxas Boulevard Cor. Quirino Ave., Malate, Manila, 1004 Philippines Store Hours: Monday – Closed; Tuesday to Friday – 12NN to 7PM; Saturday & Sunday – 9AM to 6PM
G/F, R.O.X. Bonifacio High Street
Address : R.O.X. MANILA B1 Bonifacio High St., The Fort, Taguig City.Tel. No. +63 (2) 856.4639
FB Page : https://www.facebook.com/roxphilippines
Store Hours : Friday-Saturday – 12:00PM-11:00PMSunday-Thursday – 12:00PM-10:00PM
If you have any questions regarding the project, you can send an email to: journeyingjames(AT)gmail(DOT)com or you can DM him on Twitter- @journeyingjames or better yet visit his uber-popular site Journeying James.
Till my next rant. peace and stay fresh.